Monday, June 11, 2007

Die Paulie, Die!!!

Regardless of my personal feelings that not only was the Sopranos series finale lacking and the last few years weren't really very interesting to me either, I give David Chase the tip of the cap for being a creative genius. According to the Internet people are split down the middle. Me and my friend Bill G. are on opposite sides -- even Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon disagreed on Pardon the Interruption. Interesting to me is how much smarter ABC is here than Time Warner itself -- the actual distributor of the show. ABC was all over capitalizing on the Sopranos sensation wherever it could. Even ESPN. PTI, a show about what's up in the sports world spent 10% of its air-time discussing (or arguing about) the Sopranos finale.

Time Warner, coroporate home of HBO on the other hand, had no mention of the finale AT ALL in its own Time Magazine. Perhaps they will capitalize with the next issue. The episode did seem to leave people wanting more, and sticking Tony's mug on the cover of Time should sell a few more copies. Maybe they were smarter than I was all along and wanted to rake it in on the aftermath instead of the "pre-finale hoopla". We'll know soon enough.

For me personally, only one change would've made a huge difference. I needed Paulie "Walnuts" Gualtieri offed to be fulfilled. It didn't work out that way so I wasn't.

No comments: