Thursday, June 7, 2007

The Pressure is on Lebron James (More TV Ratings)

And not the pressure to win the championship -- although I am sure he puts a lot of personal pressure on himself to win.

For all my talk about the NHL ratings (and again, I've completely swung to thinking current value/health of the league does NOT correlate to the National ratings of the Stanley Cup games), I think the ratings for the upcoming NBA finals will be very interesting. Because of Lebron my guess is the finals will crack averaging over 10 Million homes for the first time since 2004 when Detroit vs. the Lakers pulled an 11.5 average Nielsen Rating and was on in ~12.5 million homes.

What I'm most interested in is to see whether Lebron can outdo that performance by Kobe/Shaq of a few years back.

The relative comparison are of course completely meaningless (comparing NHL to NBA, for example). While my linear brain does want to make such comparisons -- crap like if the value of an NHL franchise is X, the value of the Boston Red Sox must be 25X!

But that really is just a bunch of stupid crap. In the real world it doesn't work that way. In the real world, quite often, as my brother likes to say, the tiniest studio apartment in the most luxurious building will have a higher price per sq. foot than the bigger, "nicer" units. You can't look at the unit that is 4x as big and say it should be worth 4x...because that's not actually how it really works. Not for condos, not for the NBA, not for the NHL.

My mind tried to process it that way anyway, but I'm over it.

No comments: