Wednesday, June 20, 2007

More Google Product Ideas

I am fascinated with Nielsen ratings data, but there are lists Google could produce that would fascinate me more.

The first idea is that within Google they should have a "Billion Dollar Idea" program where if you come up with a billion dollar idea they just pay you a $25 million commission for your good work. I don't actually work for Google, but I think they should extend this program to me anyway. I do think this is a billion dollar idea even though it's a very simple one. I 'm not sure the one below is worth anything, but oh man, I want it anyway.

It needs a different name but to keep in the theme of what I've been writing about the placeholder is the top 10: Capitalism isn't Self Destructive but People Are list. Paris, Britney, Lindsay, John Travolta, Tom Cruise – it's just another way to capitalize on people acting like dopes, but with this sort of dopiness the intersection between capitalism and dopiness seems to be high. We eat this up like candy and Google could figure out some exact ranking based on the # of news stories about dopey behavior.

They could further segment the lists. I'd want the sports list. In fact this is the reason I am so consumed with ESPN's 5pm-6pm EDT hour and love ATH and PTI. Effectively these shows create the list for me. I don't know the actual ranking but this week the top 2 for sure would be:

  1. Kobe Bryant
  2. Pacman Jones
  3. The Cincinnati Bengals*

*I had to add this because ANOTHER Bengal got arrested for something. I actually DO believe in coincidence, but when what seems like about a 4th of the 45 man roster has been fingerprinted in the last year I don't know if that's coincidence, Cincinnati, or something specific to the Bengals.

I know this though: Roger Goodell had some sort of "OMG, you have to be kidding me!" moment when he found that out.

No comments: